Does a Workers’ Comp Case need an attorney?
Many people question if they should hire an attorney to get workers’ compensation after a work-related injury or illness.
Suppose you suffered a minor work injury, then you may not need an attorney. Suppose you understand the workers’ comp process and have a good relationship with your employer. In that case, you should be fine without a lawyer.
On the other hand, if you suffered a severe injury or illness, or your employer is refusing to work with you. You will need to contact an experienced workers’ comp lawyer. The attorney can help you stand up for your rights and get you the compensation you deserve.
Can You Represent Yourself?
In some cases, you can represent yourself in a workers’ comp case and get fair compensation. For that to be true, the following should apply:
- Your injury is minor, like a strain, sprain, or cut
- Your employer agrees that your injury or illness is work-related
- You did not miss much work (if any)
- You don’t have a related pre-existing injury or illness
If all of the above circumstances apply, you should be able to go through the workers’ comp process without attorneys’ help. However, it’s still a wise choice to meet with an attorney who offers free consultations for guidance. The attorney can answer questions you may have and talk you through the process.
In What Situations Should You Consult a Lawyer?
It’s always a good idea to meet with a workers’ comp attorney, no matter how simple your workers’ comp case may appear. You should definitely hire a lawyer if your case is more complicated. Some circumstances that can complicate workers’ comp claims include:
- Your employer disagrees that your injury or illness is work-related
- Your employer denies your injury or illness
- The settlement offer does not include all of your lost wages and medical bills
- You cannot return to work because of your injury or illness
- Your condition limits you from doing the same job
- You receive or plan to receive Social Security Disability benefits
- Someone else caused your accident, such as a negligent driver who hit you while you were driving a work vehicle
- You were mistreated or penalized at work because you filed a claim
What Does a Worker’s Comp Lawyer Do?
You may be wondering what precisely a workers’ comp attorney does. Here are a few tasks that workers’ comp attorneys handle:
- Make sure all the correct forms are completed before the deadlines
- Converse with the insurance provider on your behalf
- Collect medical evidence that supports your claim
- Negotiate for the settlement you deserve
- Draft a settlement agreement, defending your rights
- Attend a hearing on your behalf, if necessary
Navigating the workers’ comp process can be complicated. Cases involving severe injuries and illnesses can make the process even more complicated. Workers’ comp attorneys offer guidance and fight for fair compensation.
How Much Does a Worker’s Comp Attorney Cost?
Many people think that hiring an attorney is expensive, but that is not true. A personal injury or accident case doesn’t cost you anything initially. These types of cases are usually on contingency bases. In simple terms, what this means is that you only pay if you win.
When you call in, we will gather your information and have one of our trusted and experienced attorneys contact you. At this point, the attorney will go over what has happened, discuss your options, and start your claim. The attorney will also walk you through getting additional medical help and negotiate with your employer’s insurance company to get you the compensation you deserve! Contact us right away after an injury, so one of our attorneys can help you through your difficult times!
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Personal Injury Attorney today call (877)776-9558
In the unfortunate event of an accident or injury, you will need an attorney who has experience with work-related injury cases. Our network of attorneys have years of experience and a long list of successful cases. Well, fight for you day and night to get you the medical help you need and the compensation you deserve.
Contact us to have your case heard and evaluated. One of our trusted attorneys will be able to help you get the compensation you deserve. CALL US ANYTIME (877)776-9558 or fill out a consultation form here to start the process.